First Planting Session

I got energetic on Sunday afternoon and decided that I would do my first round of planting, despite having a million other things to do.  I couldn’t resist.  Before I could start planting though I had to build a mini scaffold for me to stand on to work in the tank.  Using a chair just wasn’t cutting it.  Here’s my makeshift scaffolding:

Scaffolding

I cleaned out most of the crypts at the best LFS in town.  There are a bunch of ones in here:  anubias bartera, java fern (normal), crypt parva, crypt poderfolia, crypt wendtii (red and green), crypt retrospiralis, crypt balansae, crypt abilda and apongeton crispus.  A few of the crypts aren’t in the greatest shape but they were reasonably priced so I figured I would give them a shot.  Before putting them in the tank I soaked them in a very, very mild peroxide and water solution to try and at least hurt some of the algae that may be on them.  Here’s the plants before going in the tank:

Plants soaking in water and peroxide solution

Planting a 3 feet deep tank while you are standing 3 feet in the air is not the most comfortable scenario.  Luckily I have 12″ tweezers to help and very long arms.  This is the shot during my first break to give my back a rest:

Parva and balansae planted

I had to finish up the planting before I got everything in.  I ran out of super glue for attaching the ferns and anubias so there are a few of them that still need to go in.  Here’s a bunch of shots of different areas:

Full tank shot after planting

The start of the parva lawn, about 1/4 of the way there after planting 10 pots worth:

Parva lawn started

Balansae and ponderfolia sections:

Balansae and ponderfolia sections

Apongeton crispus and more balansae

Apongeton and balansae

More balansae, retrospiralis and abilda.  The retrospiralis and abilda are on light support a bit so you can’t see them very well.

Balanse, retrospiralis and abilda

A section of wendtii green:

Wendtii green

and after refilling the tank:

Left side shot

Center shot

Right side shot

After this planting session and getting the tank refilled I was hurting.  Sore back and tired but worth it.  The green really pops against the wood and brown soil and dark background.    After a night of planting I would have to say that the Netlea substrate is very nice to work with.  It is easy to plant in, doesn’t make a big mess when disturbed.  Areas that were underwater were an absolute breeze to plant in.  All the planting that is shown was finished in about an hour and a half.  Once you get the hang of using 12″ tweezers they are an absolute necessity for planting in a tank this deep.  Overall I’m very happy with the progress.  Lots of plants left to go but a good start.  I figure this will be about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total plant biomass that I’ll plant in here.  The general theme will be the same though.  Slow growers, crpyts, anubias, ferns etc.  Don’t want a high maintenance tank.  I feel like I may go with one select stem species behind the anubias barteri but I will have to wait until I can get some shipped in the spring time for that.  The Canadian winters aren’t to friendly to plant shipments.

Advertisements

~ by canaquaticgardens on November 22, 2011.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: